In the late 1990s the city manager asked a group of employees to identify ways to facilitate communication, encourage employee ideas and build trust in the organization (both internally and with the community).
Over a period of several months the employee group identified five areas on which to focus:
- Getting to know others within the City
- Treating coworkers with respect and courtesy
- Having a voice in the decision-making process
- Considering the organization's public image
- Promoting personal and organizational responsibility and accountability
From these five areas came the Mountlake Terrace's Core Values. The Core Values serve as a list of what is expected in employees' interactions with each other and the public, and are used for everything from employee recognition programs to performance evaluations. For additional information please view the City of Mountlake Terrace Core Values (PDF).